There’s nothing like a good arm workout to get your muscles pumping and feeling like a million bucks after you shower and leave the house. Even if you’re new and don’t have any equipment, this beginner arm workout is a great way to get started. Combine it with a beginner leg routine every week and you’ll be on a good path to staying in shape.
The beginner arm workout has a major focus on the arms for obvious reasons, but also mixes in some core and full body movement as well. I try to include at least one full body exercise (in this case, burpees) to really get the heart rate up and a good sweat going.
The Beginner Arm Workout
Note: before doing any of these exercises, I always recommend a warmup and watching a Youtube video on any exercise you haven’t done before. Not only will it make your arm workout more effective, it can prevent injury.
- 8-12 push ups (the staple of workouts without equipment!)
- 8-12 dips (video here for multiple ways to do dips without equipment)
- 30 second plank
- 8-12 burpees (video here)
- 8-12 diamond pushups (video here)
Note, these are recommended reps for a 3 set workout. Adjust up or down as needed.
How The Workout Should Look
Here’s how the full beginner arm workout should look from start to finish:
- 3-5 minute warm up (light jog or stretch or run up and down the stairs)
- Set 1: pushups, dips, plank, burpees, diamond pushups
- 3 minute rest (or 3 minutes of jogging or stair climbing if you want more cardio and don’t need the rest)
- Set 2: pushups, dips, plank, burpees, diamond pushups
- 3 minute rest (or cardio)
- Set 3: pushups, dips, plank, burpees, diamond pushups
- Cool down (usually a stretch or jog or both, depending on time)
And that’s it – the thought of doing just one more pushup should scare you after this workout is all said and done!
This beginner arm workout is a great fit for a weekly workout plan – for example, a 3 times per week plan with this as day 1, a chest/back workout as day 2 and a leg workout as day 3. Mix and match and get started! If you want more home exercise programs, check them out here.
And I love to hear feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org so keep me in the loop!