Too many people forget to workout their legs, so I’ve put together a quick leg routine that is easy to fit into your weekly workout plan. For example, if you’re already doing the Beginner Workout Without Equipment and want another workout to add into your week, this one works great!
This workout is aimed at doing one thing – to make your legs feel like jelly for a few days after you’re done! Can’t get much simpler than that.
The Beginner Leg Routine
Note: as always, make sure to warmup and watch a Youtube video for any exercise you haven’t done before. Not only will it make your leg routine more effective, it can prevent injury.
- 8-12 squats
- 8-12 forward lunges
- 8-12 side lunges
- 8-12 calf raises
- 30 seconds of running up/down a set of stairs or 3 sprints (if you live in a house or apartment/condo, there should be stairs somewhere! If not, go for 3 sprints where you can or sprint on the spot if you have to)
These are recommended reps for a 3 set workout. Adjust up or down as needed.
How The Leg Routine Should Look
Here’s how the workout should look from start to finish:
- 3-5 minute warm up (light jog and/or stretch)
- Set 1: squats, forward lunges, side lunges, calf raises, stairs/sprints
- 3 minute rest (or 3 minutes of jogging or stair climbing if you want more cardio and don’t need the rest)
- Set 2: squats, forward lunges, side lunges, calf raises, stairs/sprints
- 3 minute rest (or 3 minutes of jogging, jumping jacks or stair climbing)
- Set 3: squats, forward lunges, side lunges, calf raises, stairs/sprints
- Cool down (usually a stretch or jog or both, depending on time)
You’re done! Make sure to give your legs a rest, they’ve earned it.
Add this into your weekly workout plan if you have the room or use it to build one with some other beginner exercises!
And I always love to hear feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org so keep me in the loop!