Does you live in a multi-story house? Do you live in an apartment or condo? Or maybe you live by a big stadium?
If you answered yes to any of the above, you have access to a set of stairs – which is all the equipment you need for an amazing stairs workout.
The stairs workout focuses on building power in your legs and using the incline or decline (whichever way you decide to angle yourself) to add some gravity into the mix. I would not do this stairs workout right before or soon after a leg workout, like the beginner leg routine.
The Stairs Workout
As always, make sure to warmup and watch a Youtube video for any exercise you haven’t done before. Not only will it make your workouts more effective, it can prevent injury.
- 8-12 stair lunges (video here)
- 30 seconds of quick feet step ups (video here)
- 8-12 incline/decline pushups (video here of both – depending on your experience, choose whatever works best for you)
- 30 seconds stair mountain climber (video here – really focus on your core while doing these)
- 8-12 dips (video here – you may need to place your hands 2-3 steps of stairs higher than your feet depending on how steep the steps are)
- 30 seconds of running up and down the stairs
These are recommended reps for a 3 set workout. Adjust up or down as needed.
How The Stairs Workout Should Look
Here’s how the workout should look from start to finish:
- 3-5 minute warm up (light jog and/or stretch and/or jog up and down the stairs)
- Set 1: lunges, quick feet, pushups, mountain climbers, dips, stairs
- 3 minute rest
- Set 2: lunges, quick feet, pushups, mountain climbers, dips, stairs
- 3 minute rest
- Set 3: lunges, quick feet, pushups, mountain climbers, dips, stairs
- Cool down (usually a stretch or jog or both, depending on time)
You’re done! Make sure to take a light jog or walk after this one, your legs will probably need it.
It’s time to start making use of the stairs you’ve been neglecting for far too long! Give the stairs workout a shot this week (or today) and let me know how it goes.